There are 3 main types of cold plastic machines, in this article we will explain the differences between the three spray application methods and both the pro’s and con’s of each type.
The simplest spray application method. It offers no risk of mixed MMA product curing in the machine. This method uses an airless spray machine which sprays the base product and then applies beads on top which reacts with the base product to make it cure.
1. MMA AND REACTIVE BEADS
1. MMA and Reactive Bead spray application includes a very simple setup to achieve a great cold plastic line.
2. It is the lowest set up cost financially.
3. If you already have a Graco LineLazer 200HS you may be able to use it for cold plastic.CONS
1. Material cost is the highest per linear metre, as the required peroxide beads are more expensive than standard glass reflective beads.
WHERE AND WHEN MMA AND REACTIVE BEADS ARE TYPICALLY USED
Three areas of main use are car parks, cycleways and ‘off highway’ use. Often used by contractors with a LineLazer 200HS exploring the use of MMA to achieve a better performing line, or those with occasional specified cold plastic works.
It is a familiar set up procedure for those used to using a Graco LineLazer and gives contractors a starting point to enjoy the benefits of cold plastic without the need to invest as much in training or machines.
2. MMA 1:1 SYSTEM
A simple application which uses a specialist 1:1 machine to provide a system which is guaranteed to cure. This system requires slightly more user skill due to the type of machine, but offers a lower running cost than the reactive beads system, as it is not essential to apply beads.
1. The MMA 1:1 system is great for larger ‘off-highway’ jobs, or for use on smaller, urban roads which have a reasonable amount of traffic.
2. Material cost per linear metre decreases as you no longer require peroxide covered beads
1. The setup machine cost increases in comparison to MMA and reactive beads
2. Training is required for setup
3. MMA 98:2 SYSTEM
This particular spray application is very common on highways projects. 98% of the material is an MMA base which mixes in the hoses at point of application with 2% liquid peroxide. Depending on the conditions and product used, this should cure within 10-20 minutes. This application method is great where fast application is required, and very durable lines.
1. The most cost effective material cost.
2. Perfect for high volumes of line work and for use on the strategic network
3. High performing lines
1. Setup machine cost is the highest out of the three options
2. Specialist training is required for setup
MMA 98:2 is suitable for use on Strategic Network